Meet Our Tennis Staff
RUSS HARTLEY, TENNIS OPERATIONS MANAGER
Russ spent over 30 years as the Head Professional and Tennis Director at Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club, one of Western Canada’s premier tennis clubs.
Born and raised in Victoria, Russ started his career here and says he has always kept his love for the island. “It has been a privilege to spend my years in Vancouver at VanLawn and to contribute to its growth and continued success, but I always monitored the island’s tennis scene with the hope of having the opportunity to one day return.”
Russ started playing tennis at age four in the public parks of Greater Victoria. His father Gordon Hartley, initiated, developed and built the local public parks tennis program starting in 1945. In 2008 Gordon was inducted as a Builder into the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame.
In addition to his success as a Head Professional and Director, Russ has a rich history as a player:
- RANKED #1 MEN’S OPEN SINGLES AND DOUBLES ON VANCOUVER ISLAND FROM 1978 TO 1984
- TOP RANKED PROVINCIAL OPEN PLAYER FROM 1978 TO 1988
- #1 RANKED SENIOR PROVINCIAL PLAYER IN HIS AGE CATEGORY MANY TIMES SINCE 1997
- WON THE PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS IN SINGLES AND DOUBLES NUMEROUS TIMES
- WON THE WESTERN CANADIAN SENIOR NATIONALS MULTIPLE TIMES
- THREE-TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION IN MEN’S DOUBLES, MOST RECENTLY WITH ROBERT BETTAUER
- TWICE REPRESENTED CANADA AS A MEMBER OF THE NATIONAL TEAM AT THE SENIOR WORLD TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (2008 IN ANTALYA, TURKEY AND 2011 CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND)
Russ is a fully and actively certified Tennis Canada Level 3 coach and a member in good standing of the Coaches Association of Canada.
ROBERT BETTAUER – CLUB TENNIS PROFESSIONAL
Robert is currently the CEO of PISE (Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence). He will be working along with the rest of the Bear Mountain Pro Team in performance and private coaching.
Robert brings over 50 years of tennis experience to our pro team as a player, administrator and coach. He is an extremely successful competitive tournament player and to this day, one of Canada’s top National level senior players.
Robert is a former Canadian Davis Cup Player, Coach and Manager and a two-time Olympic Tennis Coach (Seoul/Barcelona). He has achieved an MS in Psychology (specialization in sport), has been a Tennis Broadcast Analyst for 30 years – Sportsnet (Rogers Cup, Olympics, Davis/Fed Cup) and an Instructor Course Facilitator.
In addition to all his successes off the court and in coaching, Robert has a rich history as a player:
- ATP World Tour Ranking 1977-83
- Multiple National/Provincial Tennis Titles (singles & doubles)
- International competitor in junior, open, senior categories for over 50 years!
Robert is a fully and actively certified Tennis Canada Level 4 coach and has the designation of a Chartered Professional Coach (ChPC) by the Coaching Association of Canada.
RANJAN MCARTHUR, CLUB TENNIS PROFESSIONAL
A competitive tournament player with Provincial and National Senior rankings, Ranjan brings 40 years of coaching experience to our Professional Team. Ranjan has been the Bear Mountain Pro during the 2015 and 2016 outdoor seasons. A well-known tennis community leader throughout Victoria, Ranjan enjoys sharing his love of the game with players of all skill levels and will bring out the best in your game. Ranjan is excited to be part of this new era of tennis at Bear Mountain.
Ranjan is in the process of achieving his Tennis Canada Club Pro 1 certification and is a member in good standing with the Tennis Professionals Association of Canada.
All the Bear Mountain Tennis Professionals are Tennis Canada certified coaches and members in good standing of the Tennis Professionals Association of Canada.